When owning a Porsche, it is just a matter of time before you will need the use of a good OBD II Diagnostic Scanner Tool. The scanner will allow you to read and clear trouble codes any time you encounter a “check engine light” or CEL error.
Check Engine Light (CEL) Errors
If you encounter a CEL error, take the time to read the error code as soon as possible. The check engine light alerts you whenever there is a problem with one of the components or systems in your Porsche Boxster.
However if you encounter a “flashing CEL” error, pull over, stop the car at once (turn the engine off) and arrange to have your car towed.
With a flashing CEL you can read the error code with an OBD II scanner tool with the key in the “ACC” location, but do not start or run your engine.
Is it safe to drive your Porsche Boxster with the CEL Warning On?
If you experience a CEL error, you need to get the CEL code read ASAP. Many drivers carry an OBD II scanner tool in their Boxster. You need to watch the code and be prepared to stop your Boxster if the CEL warning commences flashing. Never drive your Boxster with a flashing CEL. If you Boxster has a flashing CEL you need to turn off the engine and have the Boxster towed for service.
If the CEL light is on and your Boxster appears to be driving normally with no difference in performance, you need to read the CEL code with an OBD II reader tool. Once you obtain the code you can then make an informed decision on whether to drive the Boxster.
It is very common for the incorrect closing of the gas cap to cause a CEL error. This can happen out of haste or unfamiliarity with using the Porsche gas cap. When fueling your Boxster, you need to turn the gas cap until it clicks over 2-5 times to ensure that the gas cap has a good (and thorough) seal.
If your CEL error is related to the EVAP system, you should reset the CEL code, check the gas cap for proper closure and drive your Boxster to determine if the CEL error is a persistent problem (reoccurs).
Porsche Diagnostic OBD II Scanner Tool
You will need the use of a Porsche specific OBD II tool to reset any OBD “check engine light” CEL warnings. An OBD II scanner will identify any fault codes and clear them.
The OBD II scanner tool is your first step in diagnosing any issues with your car. This tool will pay for itself the 2nd time you use it.
You will also require this tool to reset the Oil Change light when it occurs and to reset OBD oil mileage each time you do an oil change.
If you are a Porsche Club member, and we highly recommend it, you can make use of the club for advice. Porsche Club members can be asked for local advice on getting your CEL codes read and cleared. Other Porsche Club members are often happy to help and are ready with advice.
Porsche Boxster OBD II Port Location
The OBD II port location is located under the dashboard, beneath the left of the steering wheel column.
1. Porsche Integrated Workshop Infomation System (PIWIS)
The primary diagnostic scanner tool for Porsche Boxster is the Porsche PIWIS. It is referred to as the “Porsche Hammer”. The Porsche PIWIS is the most powerful diagnostic tool for all Porsche vehicles.
The Porsche PIWIS is used at Porsche dealerships for diagnosis, troubleshooting, and programming. It is not a practical purchase, it is very expensive and has a very steep learning curve. The PIWIS is available on long term lease from Porsche for $12,000 USD per year.
2. Durametric Diagnostic Tool for Porsche
Another possible tool is Durametric Diagnostic Tool for Porsche. It is a great tool for Porsche mechanics. The Durametric Diagnostic Software is an alternative to the Porsche PIWIS dealer scanner.
The Durametric Diagnostic Tool for Porsche provides in-depth troubleshooting and has great model coverage. There are multiple license options including a single car license that is locked to the VIN.
Unfortunately, the Durametric Diagnostic Tool for Porsche costs several hundred dollars and requires a laptop to run.
Durametric has an Enthusiast Kit starting at $287 USD that supports up to 3 cars and is locked by the VIN of each car. This is the best tool and assure full compatibility with your Porsche. Their support is exceptional.
You can buy the Durametric Scanner here (directly from Durametric.)
3. iCarsoft POR-II Porsche OBD-II Scanner Tool Multi-systems ABS SRS
The iCarsoft POR-II Porsche OBD-II Scanner Tool has an excellent following on multiple Porsche forums. Please take the time to do your own research. We have not tested this unit, but it is very popular with many forum members.
The iCarsoft POR-II Porsche OBD-II Scanner Tool is an excellent low-cost tool (for what it does) and it will read all of your codes and even reset the oil change warning.
4. FOXWELL NT510 Elite Scan Tool for Porsche
- 🆒 【Customer is God】1-year warranty+100% money back; 📣 NOTE: All items sent to Amazon are Brand New, but around 1% customer returns would be added to our Amazon inventory as sellable which is out of control, contact us directly for a replacement. If encountering wrong software issue, there is no need to return the product, just provide us with the S/N on the back of the product, we will help you change the software online.
- 🍧【2021 Upgraded OBD2 Scanner for Porsche】This Porsche scanner can read&clear trouble codes of all major systems, including engine, ABS, SRS, SAS, Transmission, EPS, Auto Bleeding, Keyless Access, LKAS Control, ect. Supports Cayenne, Boxster, Cayman, 911, Panamera,Carrera GT, GT3,GT2, Macan. As a professional automotive scanner for Porsche full systems, nt510 elite code reader is also a universal OBD code reader for checking engine light, reading & erasing codes on all brands cars' OBD system.
- 🚗【Full OBD2 Functions for All OBDII Cars】The diagnostic scanner featuring the complete 10 functions of OBDII test with Live PCM Data Stream in graphics formats, Read/Clear DTCs and do smog tests, I/M readiness and O2 sensor tests, read freeze frame data, EVAP system test, retrieves vehicle info, Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), Real time battery voltage and more.
- 💲【Routine Maintenance for Porsche】Do maintenance by yourself for your porsche. Control service interval reset, brake deactivation, ABS activation, battery registration, abs bleeding, reset oil light service/engage points for transfer case, idle speed adjustment, traction/throttle body adjustment, troubleshoot A/C, reset CBS condition-based service, activate alarm, ect. One nt510elite scan tools is enough for professional car diagnosis.
- 💯【Do More for You】1)Porsche obd2 scanner have ability to graph, record, replay live data streams with 2 PIDs graphing and numerous live PIDs in text. 2) AutoVIN service automatically retrieves vehicle VIN, making car diagnostics easier. 3) Friendly design&Easy to use. 4) Comes with porsche software, and you could use the auto diagnostic tool directly out of the box(register need only before update)▶ Extra Pay $60 for Adding One More Brand.5) Playback&data print. 6) Lifetime free update, ect.
Other Amazon Porsche OBD II Scanner Tools
Check with Brand manufacturer to ensure year make and model of Porsche is supported.
|1||FOXWELL NT510 Elite Full-System Diagnostic Tool for Porsche, OBD2 Scanner Code Reader HVAC 4WD...||95 Reviews||$180.88||Buy on Amazon|
|2||XTRONS Wireless Bluetooth OBD2 Android OBDII Car Auto Diagnostic Scanner Tool Torque Special for All...||449 Reviews||$24.89 $13.98||Buy on Amazon|
|3||FOXWELL NT530 for Porsche Multi-System OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Read Erase Error Codes||20 Reviews||$169.95||Buy on Amazon|
|4||KONNWEI KW850 Professional OBD2 Scanner Auto Code Reader Diagnostic Check Engine Light Scan Tool for...||1,436 Reviews||$89.99 $69.99||Buy on Amazon|
|5||FOXWELL NT530 for Porsche 996 Multi-System OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner SRS ABS DPF EPB Airbag TPMS...||1 Reviews||$169.95||Buy on Amazon|
Also, be sure to check out our “Best Of” Series:
Our “Best of” series covers the best of batteries, battary chargers, wipers, car covers, books and many more items.
Join Our Facebook Group
Other Articles of Interest
Last update on 2021-04-18 at 03:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API